Puerto Piramides, Peninsula Valdes, Salinas de la Peninsula de Valdes
Puerto Pirámides is an Argentine town in Biedma Department, Province of Chubut. Its population as of the 2001 census [INDEC] was 429 inhabitants. It is the only town on the Valdes Peninsula.
Originally inhabited by the Tehuelche people, attempts around 1800 to take control of the area on the part of Spanish conquistadores resulted in a routing by the headstrong Tehuelches. In 1898, Buenos Aires developer Antonio Muno ventured into the exploitation of the area's considerable salt mines, for which he obtained permission to build a rail line and other facilities in 1900.
Opting for the calm waters of the Golfo Nuevo, he christened the new settlement Puerto Pirámides for the numerous pyramid-shaped cliffs that overlook the inlet. Today, Puerto Pirámides is one of the premier whale watching destinations in the world; the municipality has six hotels, 15 lodges and two campgrounds.